Adoption & Beyond(913) 381-6919
(913) 381-6909 (Fax)
16236 Metcalf Avenue
Overland Park, KS 66085
Email Adoption & Beyond
Adoption & Beyond is a not-for-profit child agency with a team of licensed adoption professionals in the states of Kansas and Missouri.
View Larger Map
Founded in 1998
After four years in the adoption field, Steffany Aye found herself choosing to leave her place of employment as the Child Placement Supervisor for a local adoption agency in order to finish her 2nd Masters Degree. (Steffany's first Masters is in Family Life Education & Consultation and the second Masters is in Social Work).
As Steffany was finishing her degree requirements, she began exploring the idea of starting an adoption agency. The Adoption & Beyond agency became a reality in the Fall of 1998. The agency actually originated out of Steffany's home, eventually, the agency outgrew the home office and relocated to Overland Park, Kansas near 435 and Metcalf.
However, Steffany soon discovered that the agency still needed more space and was again moved to the current location at the corner of 162nd Street and Metcalf.
Adoption & Beyond is a not-for-profit child agency licensed in the states of Kansas and Missouri. It has a board of directors who oversees the operation of the agency, and it is run on a daily basis by its Founder & Director, Steffany Aye, along with the assistance of a wonderful team of adoption professionals.
Frequently Asked Adoption Questions
Q. How long does it take to receive a child?
Domestic Adoptions: While this is a reasonable question, it is also one which cannot be answered very clearly. Because the prospective birth family selects the adoptive family with whom they would like to place their child, there is little predictability within the selection process. Some families wait weeks once they enter an adoption program while others wait a year or more.
Embryo Adoptions: The matching process is completed by the embryo program staff. Matching occurs when embryos become available that match an adoptive family’s interests and dynamics. This process could take as little as a few months or up to a year or more.
International Adoptions: The timeframe for international adoption will be determined mostly by which country a family decides to adopt from. Most international adoptions take approximately one year to complete, with some countries taking much longer. An international agency should be able to provide information regarding a time frame for each country’s current process.
Q. How often do prospective birth parents change their minds?
Domestic Adoptions: There are no guarantees in domestic adoptions. Prospective birth parents sometimes change their minds prior to placing their baby for adoption. We notice this occurring less often when an open relationship with a prospective birth family has been developed.
Embryo Adoptions: In an embryo adoption, the embryos have been donated to the adoptive family prior to a medical transfer procedure. Following the birth of a child through a successful embryo placement, a formal adoption can occur.
International Adoptions: In international adoption, children who are placed for adoption have either been abandoned or the parental rights have been terminated within the country prior to placement with a family.
Q. Will we receive medical or family background information regarding our child?
Domestic Adoptions: As much information as possible regarding the prospective birth parents’ medical and family histories are gathered and provided to the prospective adoptive family.
Embryo Adoptions: A great deal of medical and family information is gathered regarding the donating family and is provided to the adopting family.
International Adoptions: In international adoption, it is difficult to obtain medical and family background information. Most children are abandoned making it virtually impossible to obtain information. However, there are a few countries where families voluntarily place their child for adoption, and in these cases good medical and family background information can be obtained and provided to the adopting family.
Q. What are the costs involved for an adoption process?
Domestic Adoptions: There are several factors which determine the total cost for an adoption. Variables such as legal expenses, medical bills, and birth parent expenses can vary from one adoption to the next. Efforts are made to maintain a prospective adoptive family’s adoption budget.
Embryo Adoptions: There are several variable factors in an embryo adoption. Most of the variation occurs in medical costs. If an implantation is not successful, then medical procedures need to be performed again for another embryo transfer. The cost can depend on the number of attempts a family chooses to make in order to achieve a successful pregnancy.
International Adoptions: There are several factors that can determine the total cost of an international adoption such as country fees, foreign document preparation fees and travel costs. The cost of an international adoption varies greatly from one country to another.
Q. Do you have any advice about the adoption process?
A. Adoption is a life-altering experience and should be approached thoughtfully. Perhaps the most helpful advice we can provide is to remain flexible, prepare for change, keep an open mind and stay positive.
Purpose, Philosophy & Mission
Adoption & Beyond is a not-for-profit child placing agency licensed by the states of Kansas and Missouri. Adoption & Beyond assists with domestic, embryo, international and private adoptive services. Adoption & Beyond strives to meet the needs of children, birth parents and adoptive parents by providing quality adoption services.
Adoption & Beyond is committed to finding nurturing, permanent families for children by functioning as a licensed not-for-profit child placing agency. Adoption & Beyond is built upon a respect for life and family development. These principles are the foundation of our various adoption programs.
TO PROVIDE education, support and quality services for people seeking to build their families through adoption and to assist in gathering and preparing the social background documents needed in the process.
TO ASSIST women and men in looking at all life giving options for their child and by providing for their emotional needs as they prepare and participate in an adoption plan.
TO SPONSOR workshops in order to educate the public regarding the positive aspects of adoption by presenting information on various adoption topics.
Adoption & Beyond's Beliefs
- We understand adoption to be a transfer of parental responsibilities, which preserves the relationship between the birth and the adoptive family. It does not necessarily include a full disclosure of identifying information, but features a commitment to lifelong relatedness.
- We believe that every form of adoption must center on meeting the needs of the adopted child over the years.
- We believe that children are best served by preserving a connection to their birth family or country of origin.
- We believe the appropriate perspective on adoption views adoptive parents as a resource to a child, not vice versa.
- We believe that birth and adoptive families deserve equal respect and courtesy.
- We acknowledge that every participant in adoption experiences pain and loss in their own unique way.
- Recognizing that untimely pregnancy generally brings hardship, we support efforts to prevent it.
- We seek the birthfathers full participation in the adoption process when possible.
- We recognize a professional responsibility to assist clients to reach fully informed decisions. Therefore, we will protect prospective birth families from premature feelings of obligation and will support their right to change course in a timely fashion.
- We recognize that adoption is a lifelong experience and that Adoption & Beyond must remain a resource to its clients through the years.
- The agency believes that most adopted children benefit from a continuing link to their birth family. Therefore, the agency will assist birth and adoptive families in their reasonable efforts to keep in contact.
- We will operate our programs with fiscal integrity.
- We recognize an obligation to share significant results, positive and negative, with other professionals in the field.
- We believe our efforts are best evaluated in terms of services provided, not numbers of placements made.
- We recognize an obligation to contribute to the public's understanding of adoption issues.
- We believe the spirit of candor begins with the adoption professional. Therefore, we feel it is our responsibility to create a climate in which client honesty is encouraged and reinforced.
- We recognize our responsibility to uphold the highest ethical standards in all aspects of the adoption process and will not conceal any information relevant to the adoption process.
- We recognize that integrity requires consistency in our beliefs and actions. We will select our affiliations carefully, supporting organizations whose purposes and practices are consistent with ours.
- We believe the practice of adoption is dynamic and continually evolving and we are receptive to positive change.